Can I Reduce My Spousal Support Payments?

It is always possible to make changes to a court order, including those pertaining to spousal support payments. However, for a modification to be granted, you need to prove that your life has undergone a substantial change, preventing you from continuing to make the same payments. To ensure you have the best possible chance of obtaining the results you need, hire an attorney who is experienced in handling such matters.

Here is a list of reasons why your spousal support payments can be reduced:

  1. Your former spouse agreed to it: If you and your former spouse are on amicable terms, it might be easy for you to reach an agreement regarding your spousal support payments. However, even if you are able to easily reach an agreement, you will need the court’s approval to enforce it. Otherwise, if your ex-spouse has a change of heart, you will owe the difference. You must have a judge’s signature on your agreement to protect yourself.
  1. You lost your job or you were demoted: If you were demoted or lost your job, you will likely be granted a temporary modification of spousal support, relieving you of this obligation until your employment situation changes. However, if the court believes you did this voluntarily to avoid making spousal support payments, you could face some unpleasant consequences.
  1. You have new obligations: If you remarried and started a family, your financial obligations will be substantially different compared to the ones you had when the order was originally made. In cases where continuing to pay the same amount of child support would create severe hardship for the former spouse’s new obligations, a judge might grant a reduction to accommodate these changes.
  1. Your spouse remarried: Unlike many other states, in Ohio, spousal support is not automatically terminated when a spouse remarries. However, remarriage provides an adequate reason for a paying spouse to request the spousal support order to be terminated. If your former spouse simply cohabitates with someone else, this might not necessarily be a good enough reason for a judge to terminate spousal support, unless the person who cohabitates with your ex-spouse is providing financial support.
  1. You are experiencing an emergency: If an emergency comes up and you have to pay some pricey medical bills or address another financial emergency, you might not be able to make your spousal support payments for a while. Instead of struggling to make ends meet, file a request for your payments to be decreased until you get back on your feet.

Contact a Spousal Support Attorney Today!

If you are experiencing difficulties paying spousal support, it might be time to request a modification, so you can have it decreased or eliminated, depending on your circumstances. At Kallen Law Firm, LLC, our spousal support attorneys will help you navigate this complex process, so you can achieve the results you are seeking.

Contact our law office today at (314) 441-7793 to schedule a free and confidential consultation with one of our experienced attorneys and learn more about how we can assist you.